Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) is the only public hospital with comprehensive cancer treatment facilities.
123 people in Kenya are diagnosed with cancer each day. Cancer patients travel from all corners of the country, some from as far as 800 km away, to access this treatment in KNH. A recent survey was conducted by KNH in partnership with American Cancer Society on more than 400 cancer patients receiving cancer treatment. The survey data showed that 29% of patients had missed or delayed treatment and indicated the most significant barriers to care as:
- Money to pay for treatment
- Money to pay for transportation to treatment
- Accommodation once in Nairobi
Removing or reducing these barriers to care will allow more patients to access and complete necessary treatment ultimately improving the outcome of cancer treatment in KNH.
The Hope Hostel
These findings inspired the idea of a 'Hope Hostel' that would accommodate cancer patients as they undergo treatment. The Hope Hostel has been designed as a multi-storey building to cater for both genders as well as children.
The Hope Hostel will:
- be next to the new KNH Cancer Centre.
- provide accommodation for 72 KNH patients undergoing outpatient treatment and their caregivers
- have a day respite area for other cancer patients who may need to refresh themselves
- have a Cancer Resource Center in which patients and caregivers may get information about their disease.
- include components that are revenue generating so that patients can get treatment without the extra financial burden of having to pay for accommodation.
How much will it cost?
|DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION||Ksh. 194,350,000.00|
|OPERATING COSTS (1st Year)||Ksh. 31,271,800.00|
|ADDITIONAL COSTS (ONE OFF COSTS)||Ksh. 30,311,810.00|
|OPERATING COST(2ND Tear)||Ksh. 34,398,980.00|
|ESTIMATED TOTAL COST||Ksh. 290,332,590|
How You Can Help?
You can contribute to the project using the MPESA Paybill 474444
For more information contact:
Kenyatta National Hospital
020 – 7244750